AHA2020 Logo NEW




Labrador puppy saved the life of a six-year-old girl who was choking to death after suffering a seizure.

baxterLittle Olivia Goodman was lying on the sofa at home after being sent home from school with a fever.  She started vomiting while lying with her face against a pillow, causing her to choke.

Although her mother was sitting nearby, she did not realise her daughter was in trouble until nine-month-old Baxter raised the alarm.

Mum Amanda said: “My Labrador pup alerted me as soon as it had started, barking at her side adamantly and I shouted at him not to wake her.

“He continued to pace the living room and bark at her and growl at me until he jumped on her, knocking off her covers. Then, I saw she was fitting and the pillow was blocking her airway.”

Olivia was taken to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow.

It took her five hours to recover from the six-minute seizure and she was kept in overnight as a precaution.

She has since made a full recovery, and Amanda said: “Olivia owes her life to this puppy.”